Thursday, July 24, 2008

Full Steam Ahead!!!!

After two days of suffering, I am on my feet picking up where I left last week. I started off with a meeting with my supervisor. Like the meetings I had for the past 3 years, he is always calm and supportive. A visionary person I should say. I left the one hour meeting with a full list of tasks to do. One of them is to come up with a write up for the "core" of my thesis. I got an idea of what to write. Now to come up with a draft. Some pointers to share:

1. Thesis is not a diary
2. 150-200 pages
3. Write everything (easier to size it down later)
4. Brush up the lit. rev.
5. Make sense out of the findings
6. Reason things out
7. Find the core!
8. Discussion, discussion, discussion
9. Structure (can fill in the gaps later)
10.Write something
11.Welcome criticisms
12.Style in academic/scientific writing
13.The thesis IS the PhD
14.Spell check
15.Explain
16.Backup
17.Consistency in active and passive voice (an important stylistic choice!)
18.Talk to others about your research (even if the person you talk to doesn't have a clue of your research area!)
19.MATLAB presents graphs better than MSEXCEL (in engineering)
20.Start now not later!

dash!!

No comments: